Friday, June 29, 2012

40 in 40

I am turning 40 years old on August 19th.  I promise this isn't a mid-life crisis.  That is still 10 years away.  Those of you who know me know that I am happier when I have a goal.  Finish LOTOJA, finish 5 LOTOJA's, 1000 mile July, do a 70.3 Ironman, assess readiness for a full Ironman, etc, etc, etc....  The list goes on.  So I have been playing with this idea for a couple of months.  I wanted to do something really cool this year.  How about Kings Peak on my 40th Birthday.  That would be cool.  I got snubbed out of the summit last year, It would be a great opportunity to bond with my friends.  My birthday is on a Sunday this year.  Nix.  Still going to Kings Peak, in July.  Very excited.  So here is the goal:  40 summits in my 40th year.  I am planning on hitting hiking/running/climbing 40 different summits in our Wasatch range (with some Uinta's thrown in). 

Within this loop there are 77 summits.  That is crazy.  That is a lot of mountains.  Doesn't make 40 sound like too many.

the-core-77

My decision to get to this goal has been a journey in and of itself.  It seems, I am pretty busy.  I work for a great company named Orriant.  Orriant helps people set goals and become healthier.  We teach people to stretch themselves to make improve their health and make them their best self.  This goal will stretch me.  We teach people to write down their goals and make it public.  This is me making it public.   I am trying to put up or shut up.

So when I decided 40 I initially thought 40 by my 40th birthday.  Reality check.  Job, as mentioned above is keeping me pretty busy (It seems there are not a ton of healthy people in the US).  Church calling, always something there.  Water Polo, team is gaining momentum, excited about that project.  Wife, who is awesome and incredibly supportive, seriously.  And then these guys.....

 Photo: Fatherhood:  The best adventure of all.

 I have been thinking about them a lot.  Jonas now has feet that are the same size as mine.  I think that might be a precursor that my family is growing up.  I really don't want to miss that.  So the 40 in 40 goal was extended to hit 40 peaks before I turn 41.  August 19, 2013.  Very doable, but still a challenge.  This has helped me determine what I am really focusing on is BALANCE.


Recently, I have taken to stacking rocks in my yard.  I love balancing the rocks of different sizes to make something cool.  It is a great metaphor.  If one rock looses balance, they all fall. Draw your own conclusion.

40 in 40 started today.  I checked one off the list today.  Grandeur Peak.  Trail head is 4 miles from my home and it stares at me from my office window in Sandy.  Right there between those two buildings. 

  

Here is a better view.  Looking at home and office from the peak this morning.  




If you squint, you can see yourself down there.  It was a beautiful morning.  56 minutes up, 32 minutes down.  Here are a few other pics...
 Olympus....
 Looking to the Cottonwood Canyons.
 Looking back up Millcreek
And proof, The sign says.. "#1 6/29/2012  Grandeur Peak 8299ft"  I'll work that photo out a little better.  At the end of this I want to become a Wasatch trails expert so I can do it again in 60 years.  Then I can wander into the mountains, lay down and die.  Before then, I have a lot of living to do.

It is good to have a goal. If you want to join me, let me know.  Set a goal and let people know.  It is all about balance.  See you in the mountains, at the pool, on the road and lots of other places.






No comments: