Friday, April 2, 2010

The Excellent Adventure Day 2 (so far)

Well to say today has been a little disappointing would be an understatement. Here is what we have done.

6:54 Depart Kimball, NE

7:30 to 9:30 record events of day one, post on blogger and facebook. Create Internet stir (that was fun).

9:45 Matt's driving, Shawn and Boomer head bobbing.

11:30 Arrive in Kearny NE, Fuel up, eat at Wendy's (again).

Noon Shawn now driving.

1pm Shawn driving, Matt sleeping

2pm Shawn driving, Matt sleeping

3pm Shawn Driving, Boomer and Matt sleeping snuggled up together. Very cute.

4pm Shawn Driving, Matt awake briefly to see scenic Lincoln and Omaha NE, State Line! Yeah.

5pm Shawn Driving, Matt and Boomer, more snuggling

5:30 Arrive in Des Moines, IA, Gas and fuel (one in cab, one in tank).

6:00 Depart Des Moines, IA 304 miles to go

So as you can see I have had some time to myself to ponder. These have been my topics:

1) Bless President Eisenhower for building the Interstate freeway system. How cool is it that I can get on a road 4 miles from my house, get off that same road 1400 miles later and be in Chicago. That is awesome.

2) Why whenever you road trip do your nutritional standards drop so drastically? I have been doing great with my eating. Making great choices, feeling good. In the past 48 hours I have eaten 3 Power Bars, 1 orange, Sun Chips, 12 inch Subway Club, Licorice (half a bag), Beef jerky (3/4 bag) and a single cheese burger from Wendy's, 2 pieces of toast with grape jelly, another single with cheese, small vanilla frosty, fries, chicken wings. I have held off on the Moon Pie that Matt bought me but I did just buy a bag of Reese's Pieces and a Hershey's cookies and cream candy bar. Seriously, someone help me.

3) You can never go wrong on a road trip listening to a) The Eagles, b) The Samples, c) Jimmy Buffett.

4) I have seen 3 Cabelas, and 2 Super Bass Fishing Pro shops today. Seems plenty. All of the parking lots are full.

5) Most of the people that live in Nebraska live in Omaha.

6) Midwesterners have seemingly less than appropriate names for their convenience stores. Mainly "Kum & Go" and "Loaf n' Jug" Really? That does not make me want to buy anything.

7) In case you were wondering, Corn hasn't been planted yet. Lots of empty fields.

8) I couldn't believe how many wind mills their were. I am really glad it was a tail wind. At least 30 mph all day, no let up. We've been able to average about 65mph. Big improvement.

Once again signing off...... Next stop Naperville. Time for Shawn to do some head bobbing. Tomorrow I can hardly wait to drive a moving truck in downtown Chicago.

1 comment:

mrsmckracken said...

Yes! Someone still listens to the Samples! And if they would make healthy food travel-able, I think we'd all do a little better with the food issues...