Sunday, April 4, 2010

The end of an Adventure....

Well, I am sitting here in O'hare airport at 6am on Sunday (Easter) morning, excited to get home to gorge my self on beinets. So lets finish the story....

I last left you just outside Des Moines Iowa. We passed through about 5:30 and officially moved into the, "OK, lets get the drive over phase" That is when the rain started. Sweet! Matt was driving and I promptly fell asleep. Only to be awakened in Coralville, IA to "Shawn, my left contact just popped off I need you to drive." Me "OK" So, again, I drag myself behind of the car. Then we drive..... and think we gotta be getting closer, then more rain. All the way to Naperville. I have to admit both Matt and I were moved into the "Turn the radio up and sing along to stay awake phase" We decided to stop at 10:30 for dinner. See previous post on weird food issues while roadtripping. Anyway, we pulled into Naperville just about midnight, on fumes literally putting the truck in neutral and coasting as far as possible, yep, it was that empty. We coasted into Naperville, luckily the gas station at Matt's exit had diesel.

In Naperville: We did a little dance and I am sure awakened the neighborhood by our rumbling truck, sorry Naperville. As we rolled out of the truck Boomer shot out of that cab as fast as she could. I think she could tell she was home. Matt did a great job of picking their house. I didn't realize Anne wasn't involved in the process. He did a really good job. Great little place. we walked in and I promptly laid down on the floor in the front room and slept til morning.

7:30 Awake, thankful Matt went out after our arrival last night to buy toilet paper and cereal. That really is all you need, well and spoons. Didn't buy those, no cereal.

8:00 Naperville 6th ward Elders Q show up. What took us 6 days of packing to load is unloaded in 47 minutes. The church is true.

9:30 depart for downtown Chicago. Bob and weave through traffic, (To the people of Chicago: Why must I pay a toll on your roads and still have really crappy roads? Seriously, I felt like I was jeeping in Moab) At this point I feel like the truck is now an extension of me. I am turning into an autobot. Find my way to the Hansen House where Quincy and Fran are awaiting and we unload all the records and books you can imagine.

10:45 depart for Lincoln Park, did I mention the downpour rainstorm that we are unloading in. Perfect! One thing that I realize as we unload, when you live in downtown Chicago you live vertically. Very narrow staircases and steep. Quote of the day from Fran "The heavy stuff goes on the top floor" I am pretty sure we almost killed the helpers that Q and F hired to help us unload.

12:30 Truck unloaded. Can I hear a Hallelujah! Let's eat. Salt and Pepper Cafe.

1:30 Drive back to Naperville to find Matt making significant progress on unpacking.

3:45 Drop off truck. Feel a little separation anxiety. I too shall overcome.

4:30 Back to Chicago. I now have route between Matt's house and Quincy memorized. that is a good thing, seeing those are the only two I know in Chicago.

5:30 Go for celebratory run in Chicago, Lake front, Hancock tower, Old Town, Lincoln Park. Great way to see the city and remind my muscles that they can do more than sit.

Then out for dinner and a tour of some of Quincy and Fran's favorite haunts. Go to a great French restaurant that uses only all natural and organic food. Incredibly good and I think from Laramie Wyoming to Lincoln Park Chicago. I live a charmed life......

Great adventure, always great to go home. Thanks Matt, Quincy and Fran! I'll be back! But for now "Zone 3 is now boarding" Back to Zion......

No comments: