Monday, September 10, 2012

Summit #6 - Hidden Peak 9/3/12 - Labor Day

Let's just start with this. I love Snowbird.  When I started to ski in the 5th grade, my parents put me in lessons at Brighton.  Not a bad thing, as you know I actually love Brighton too.  But....., my goal in the early years was to get good enough to be able to ski the Bird.  My junior year in high school I bought 20 tickets and have rolled them over every year since 1988. 

I was married September 1, 1994.  Melissa and I have made it a tradition to go to Snowbird for our anniversary.  We have gone 4-5 times int he past 18 years.  Always a great retreat.  Thanks to Cathy for spotting the bill for us on our 1st year anniversary.  On my list of "favorite places."  Melissa and I actually went to celebrate our anniversary on the 2nd and stayed until Monday, Labor day the 3rd.  Kids and church and trying to maintain a semblance of adult responsibility kept us from stretching the trip a little longer.    
I love Melissa with all my heart.  It amazes me every day that she puts up with me.  A nice evening stroll.  The sounds of Octoberfest polka wafting through the air. 

Well we are in the mountains after all.  Let's knock off a summit.  It was tempting to just ride the tram up and call it good.  But, Melissa and I hiked up Peruvian Gulch to the top of Hidden Peak. 

While none of it was "unscenic" (Don't think that is a word).  I was happy to get off the service road and onto the single track.  Heading toward the cirque. 

Looking up the cirque.  Every time I go to a ski resort I am familiar with I always can't believe that we will ski this stuff. 

Right below Tower 3.

So here is the goal.  Duplicate this picture with snow billowing over my head.  If you can't tell I am carving a turn here.  Yes, I am a nerd.

Pfiefferhorn.  Next on the summit list.

Up the cirque ridge to the summit.

From the summit looking west.  Down into Gad Valley and the Little Cloud lift.

One of the American Fork Twins and Pfieff in the back ground

Cool view of Lighting Ridge.

Proof.

Happy Anniversary Melissa!

We did take the tram down.  We were a tourist spectacle.  People couldn't believe that we hiked up. 


No comments: