Sunday, July 11, 2010

07/10/2010 Big Cottonwood/home/Emigration

Date: 7/10/2010
Location: Canyons, Baby
Distance: 73
July Distance: 416

MapMyRide - 07/10/2010 Big Cottonwood/home/Emigration in Salt Lake City, UT

So this ride looks more impressive than I rode it. I rode it in two parts. Part A: Porcupine Hill Climb (Big Cottonwood Canyon) with Rob and Part B: Evening Date night ride up Emigration with Melissa.

Part A: Porcupine Hill Climb. Woke up after 10 hours of sleeping. (On the Tour coverage they keep talking about how important recovery is. I don't think the tour riders have a family of 7 and a full time job to support.) I got up at 6:20, you can do the math of when I went to bed. Got ready, begged a ride up 39th from Melissa so I could meet Rob on time at 7am. Didn't want to be late again, since he left me last time I was 3 mins late. No Excuses, just saying, seriously? Met Rob at 7, right on time, had our regular early ride "You, poop?" conversation. Mutual success. Rob doubled. Lucky. Find out he has been up, done some laundry, fixed breakfast, pooped twice, lubed and cleaned his bike. Anyway, you get the idea. We make it to the base of the canyon in plenty of time. Michelle is on her long run and snaps a pre-race photo. (Thanks)


Two fine cycling specimens. The start goes, off, feel pretty tired, legs heavy but continue to warm-up. Rob drops me. No problem. Part of the strategy, let him go, catch him on the steep, hang on for the mid canyon Flat, put more time in him on the steep. Hang on for a win, seeing that he edged me by a half a wheel on Big Mountain last week. Plan went along well, caught him on the "S" turn, put some time in him, then he caught me on the flat and I didn't see him again. Beat me by 3 minutes. Great ride Rob. Best I have ever seen him ride. Held on for a finish, didn't blow up, had a great time, got a t-shirt and got to see one of my favorite views:
I finished a way back in the race, but, I was 5th in line for breakfast. That is a sign of priorities. Cruised home to catch Maren D. get baptized. Great morning.

Part B: Emigration date night with Melissa. After eating lunch, sitting in my basement for the afternoon catching up on tour stages. 3, I think, went out for a date night ride. Thought it was going to be a long night when on the lead-in the canyon, Melissa drops me like her old boyfriends.


If you look up ahead in this photo you can see Melissa. This sign is an important Shawn Cycling Landmark. The starting point of the Emigration Canyon Time Split. Only hope exists at this sign.

Honestly, I've been seeing a lot more Marsh Tail than I prefer to the last 10 days. OK, repeat to self "Its a recovery ride, you have ridden 400 miles in 10 days, these miles will pay off in September" Yeah, whatever, "Your wife just dropped you." (Melissa: I love you, baby! Please don't take this the wrong way). Pissed. She keeps putting time in on me. Finally, after 10 days and 400 miles, I feel good. My legs tune in and I have power to give. I crush the last 2 miles of the canyon, averaging 12mph after the "elbow", catch her and finish. By the way, she had a great ride also. Best part get to see the sunset with Melissa at the top of the canyon.



Best date night activity. I would highly recommend it. Cruise home, end with 73 miles on the day and the knowledge that I am going to have a Vanilla Frosty. They give me power. We will see what the week holds. Very busy at work and the Tour is in the Alps. I am up 74 miles over my quota to finish the 1000 by the end of July.

Ride on.....

3 comments:

skinny said...

I still say that sucked. I totally had it until the last 1/4 mile!!!

Melissa said...

Sorry, I wasn't logged in as me on that last comment.

mrsmckracken said...

I don't get power from vanilla frostys. I get power from peanut m&ms. Great job! You are inspiring to read, either that or you're plain crazy.