Saturday, July 17, 2010

07/17/2010 Big Mtn/North Salt Lake/ Downtown/Midvalley in Salt Lake City, UT

Date: July 17, 2010
Distance: 70
July Distance: 571
Partner: Melissa and the Heat. (Cool band name)

MapMyRide - 07/17/2010 Big Mtn/North Salt Lake/ Downtown/Midvalley in Salt Lake City, UT

As mentioned, had a long week plus Fathers and Sons to top it off. The tradition at Fathers and Sons is to gorge yourself and the best cheeseburgers ever. Chad, thanks for taking the extra burger challenge with me. Dinner is topped off by all the doughnuts you could eat (Katie, I thought of you). Then sleep on the ground, awake and have huge omelets. Great pre-long ride prep. Jonas and I got home about 9:30am. The thing I dislike most about cycling is how much time it takes to get stuff ready to ride. Helmet - check, gloves-check, food - check, water - check, You think "Shawn, keep all this stuff together. I say "you don't have this to contend with"

That crazed look in Peter's eye is I must move everything in the house at least once every day. I digress. Sometimes it takes us a while to get out of the house, especially when Melissa and I try to go together. Finally get out of the house at about 10:45. Last words spoken: "No messes" This doesn't work.

Melissa and I head out for Emigration Canyon. Actually feeling pretty good. It is amazing what a "rest week" (this is how I have rationalized my two missed days) will do for you. I feel pretty good. We take it slow on the bottom 1/2 of the canyon and the second half I fire it up. Total time was 36:11, two minutes faster than last week, with a pretty slow start. I feel good about that. Still have 4 overall minutes to drop to be in peak form. At the top, Melissa decided to head back down and I split to hit Big mountain. This is turning into one of my favorite rides. I love the feeling of accomplishment when you crest Big Mtn and you can see the valley very far away and very low down. Made it to the county line.


I was swooped by several packs of motorcycles. I was tempted when I got to the top to push these over domino style. (Ya know like in the movies) thought better.


Now time to descend. Fun part. Melissa hates this part and hates knowing that I hit 48mph coming down. So don't tell her.

By the time I make it back to the valley it is pretty hot. I realize that this needs to become the "tour of the water fountain" quickly. Cruise through the U over to 11th Ave and to City Creek Canyon. Water fountain 1:

Pound one full bottle. Two bottles over the head. That feels really good to rinse off my salt encrusted face.

Out to beautiful NSL. That is the cool thing about long rides, you get to see a variety of terrain. RV's and an oil refinery.


Off to downtown. Imagine photo of the temple here. Actually made all the lights so didn't stop in traffic to take a photo. Made my way to one of my favorite downtown location. The Artesian Well Park. Best water in the valley. Seriously. On the corner of 500 S and 800 E. Two more bottles chugged, two over the head, and it is cold. Plus, the homeless people called me Lance. They were also fascinated how my shoes clipped into my pedals. They came over to check it out. Pretty funny.

Rode out to 5600 S and looped back home. By the time I got home it was:

Hot. But very little wind. I'll take it. 8 bottles of water for the day. A good sign, when you come home from a ride and need a "natural break" plus two along the way. Hydration makes the difference. Best part of the day. Hose shower:


I'll let you wonder if I am wearing anything at all. Back above quota by 3 miles. This week is looking better for some miles.

Peace, thanks for reading if you made it this far.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Shawn, you're going to have to find something to blog about when The July 1000 is over so you're not burying your talent. Your posts make me smile, even laugh. Maybe you could convince Rob to start blogging again too.