Saturday, July 31, 2010

07/31/2010 Emigration and Little Cottonwood in Salt Lake City, UT

Date: July 31, 2010 (Happy Birthday Robbie!)
Miles: 73
July Miles: 1006

MapMyRide - 07/31/2010 Emigration and Little Cottonwood in Salt Lake City, UT

Well, I made it. 1,006 miles in 31 days. Four days off for Sunday, 3 "missed" days and 24 days of riding. 24 days does not seem like a lot of days now that it is over. But this may be the longest July I have every endured. I rode for a total of 60 hours, 43,834 calories. I am the shadow of the man I used to be.... (don't know if that even makes sense, but I thought it was a cool picture).


At the summit of Emigration Canyon. Very comfortable ride (38:15, saving legs for jaunt to Alta later) On my way down the canyon I counted over 100 bikes coming up. I was tempted to turn around and ride again just to see how many I could pass, but no... off to Little Cottonwood.

Little Cottonwood Canyon is a hard climb. There is no respite. Somewhere between 6 and 12% for 10 miles. I was 90 seconds slower than my PR last hear at the Snowbird Hill climb with 50 miles in my legs on the day and 970 miles on my legs for the month. I hope to crush my PR on August 21st. If you go to the very top at Alta you climb about 4000 feet. Topping out at:

And get to see this. Awesome. I love Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Albion Basin has a fountain of life. Thanks Alta. Needed it.


High Rustler. Best powder run in the United States.


Snowbird.



So a few reflections on what I learned from my goal.
1) I don't need to watch TV ever again. Inane and mind-sucking. I even gave up on the Tour. That sound you hear is Comcast crying as they downgrade our service.
2) You need a very supportive wife to ride 1,000 miles in a month. Melissa, thanks! I love you for many reasons, none the least is that you support me and my crazy adventures.
3) I will try and make this sound kind. I never want to hear anybody tell me "they don't have time to exercise." I think I have a sound "Phooey" coming their way.
4) I don't think you can ride much more than 1,000 miles, be a husband, father, Young Mens President, work full time and play in a band. Just don't think you can.
5) My reason for this goal was to avoid a puke bomb at LOTOJA and to build strength and power in the flats and winds. I am feeling pretty good on the bike. If you see me remind me to eat and drink often.

August is for climbing. If you want to ride with me, it will probably be uphill. Hey Rob, 50,000 feet vertical in August? Let me know.

Ride on.......

No comments: