Saturday, July 24, 2010

07/24/2010 Happy Pioneer Day! in Salt Lake City, UT

Date: July 24, 2010
Distance: 101
July Distance: 831
Partner: Robert Backman Marsh

MapMyRide - 07/24/2010 Happy Pioneer Day! in Salt Lake City, UT

I kind of had a feeling this was going to be a great ride and a great blog post. We will see if I can do both of them justice. So I was behind 30 miles on the quota and needed to pull a century, no problem, throw in a couple of Cat 2 climbs, a marathon, parade, hot and cold and of course some clowns a bagpipe band and you have yourself a good day. I am not making this up.

The day started at 5:30am, Rob Marsh knocking on my door (there is a song in there somewhere). We head for our favorite warm-up, Emigration Canyon knowing that the marathon will be coming down hoping to check out the action. Didn't quite make it to the top before we saw the leaders. There were 3 Kenyans, oh, about 25 minutes in front of the rest at mile 10. My thought "Run faster people of Utah!" When we got to the elbow, we started to see the rest of the field and had a great time cheering people on as we were going up and they were going down. I think the runners thought it was cool also. At 9 miles into a marathon, most runners are still pretty happy. Made it to the summit to see most of the runners and the sunrise. Very cool combination. Here is a photo:

We cheered for lots of folk and I planned a couple of photos on the way down.

Dude running in a kilt. This may not be a bad idea, less chaffing if done authentically.
Spoke to our Scottish heritage. We decided to wear kilts in LOTOJA this year. We do look good in kilts after all.



Dude running with an American Flag. Cool.
I did not take a photo of the newest running fashion. Women with the bottom 2-3 inches of the buttocks hanging out, Rob and I decided, that we knew what we were getting Melissa and Michelle for Mother's Day next year.

Eventually we got out of the canyon, cold and shivering, because it was the slowest descent of the canyon ever. It was fun and I saw my friends Laurel Alder and Julie Wray on the way up. Apparently their tradition also. Have to hook up together next year. Headed for the Capitol along 11th Ave, knowing that we were going to South Mountain, snapped this photo thinking, that is a long way to go.
Cruised through City Creek, past the Capitol, down Victory Road to 2200 West. Found out where SunRiver bill boards go to die. Funny. They cover hay.
Realized that there is still real farm land in the Salt Lake Valley.
Then headed into downtown to check out the parade. Boy Scouts, I was going to march with them, but, bike shoes not great for walking. ....
And now, as proclaimed by Rob "Photo of the Year" What is unique about this photo? A) 2 grown men dressed in Lycra standing in the middle of downtown, B) 2 grown individuals in make-up C) Rob spotted the clowns and suggested the photo, D) Have you ever seen Rob smile that much in any photo, thus making it rare E) The conversation overheard right before the photo. Rob "Can we get a photo with you?" Red head clown "Have you seen our friend, he looks like a clown." Rob "Ummmmm, no, Do you mind if we take a photo?" Green hair clown "Yes, that would be great."
Bag pipe band, ready for piping. I think they are looking for Kilt Running Man. Seems he was late.
Rob and I decided to ride right down the middle of the parade route. My FB post of this photo said "I'd like to thank everyone for coming out for our ride today." I thought that was funny. Got a hook up from the Jimmy John dude. Thanks for the free sandwiches. I was already getting pretty hungry. 50 miles in.
Always nice to know and be related to a Police Officers. Melissa and Rob's cousin David Knaub. He let us cross the line and he didn't taser us. Thanks.
This is really the best way to see the parade. Looking forward to the same ride next year. Plus lots of folks cheered for us as we rode. They were delirious from sleeping on the pavement overnight.

So this is a photo you don't see very often. Mostly because, it has never happened to me before. Hit a pot hole, knocked my bottle out, which then wedged between my crank and frame. Worst news is I put a hole in my LOTOJA trophy bottle. Bummer.
From here rode out 9th East to the end of the world, then around point of the mountain to Highland, up the back side of South Mountain, here is the view from the other direction. It is a big valley.

What a great place to live. Overall the 101 felt good, the climbs felt good also. Best news is I am now up 33 miles and only have 169 miles to 1000. Whew. Thanks for reading..... The day wrapped up with a nap, a shaved ice, some swimming, and some great food at Michelle and Rob's. Thanks!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Great ride, great post. I'm sensing an annual tradition in the making.

Spaceman Spiff said...

Man, I can't tell you how jealous I am. I need to make more time to ride and to get out and do stuff, you're still an inspiration Shawn.