Thursday, July 15, 2010

07/15/2010 Old Mill/Wasatch/foothill in Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 7/15/2010
Distance:20
July Distance: 501 - Half way

MapMyRide - 07/15/2010 Old Mill/Wasatch/foothill in Salt Lake City, UT

Another busy day. Another short ride starting at 8pm. But, I wasn't going to miss 2 days in a row. I was happy to break the 50% complete barrier. I am still 7 miles over my planned quota to make it to 1000. So I take off at 8pm need to get some miles quick. Already watching sunset come earlier. Sunset around 9:10. At the first of the month I had til about 9:25. Here comes ski season! (I digress). Run through the Old mill loop/Wasatch/parleys crossing/come off onto Foothill getting dark I think to myself "I am just going to blow down Foothill instead of taking the prudent course on Shoreline. The traffic is light and the wide open boulevard with a gentle downhill is inviting" OK. So I go. No more than 300 yards pass the turn I should have taken, the dreaded "Pwheeeeeeshhhhhhh " coming from my back tire. Flat. No support car to jump out, trade tires, and push me along. and it is close to dark. Sweet. Massive staples will give you a flat each time. The perpetrator.



This is one of the best inventions ever.



Compressed gas. Love it. Every time I change a flat on the road I think of Clark Burbidge and SNOWTOJA. Coming up on him sad and deflated, offering a gas canister and filling his tire. The yelp of joy was burned into my soul. It really is cool. I finished in the dark. Not all bad.

No comments: